Yesterday I moved to Jeju island. But I suppose before I skip all of the goodness that was our trip to Seoul, I should recap. We went to the DMZ on Wednesday and it was quite the trip. It wasn’t the way I had expected it to be, we were on and off a lot of different buses that stopped at different locations. The most memorable and poignant was the freedom bridge and actually standing on the 38th parallel. The freedom bridge was a bridge that connected North and South Korea. What many Americans are not aware of is the fact that Most south Koreans yearn for the reunification of the two countries. It is wishful thinking based on family ties and history of the two countries, but in actuality many understand the political mess of the whole situation. Thus the surge for reunification is nonexistent and rather a stagnant ideal held by many. At the 38th parallel we realized quickly how much weight and hostility exists. The urgent and serious tone of our tour guides while directing us where to go, made the idea that our actions could be misread and thus trigger an attack that much more palpable. I did get to stand on north korea soil inside the U.N. negotiations room. Pretty intense. And did I mention we passed the shortest most dangerous golf course in the entire world? Rated by Sports Illustrated in the 1980’s, the 1 hole golf course on the base in the DMZ is surrounded by land mines on 3 sides. The concept of calling out “fore” has a totally new meaning attached, don’t you think?
Following our tour to the DMZ, we head to the United States Ambassador’s house for a pool party and BBQ. Let me sum up this experience in 3 words-MACARONI & CHEESE. Yes that’s right folks all the western American food you could ever imagine. It tasted fantastic, then I felt sick. American food is so heavy and the amount of lactose and trans fat does a number on your body. I couldn’t believe how much shit I used to eat in America without being bothered. The house was astounding as you can see. We hobnobbed with high up officials and I learned that a D.C. lifestyle is way too intense for me. Alex seemed to agree, but nonetheless, we both tried our luck at networking. I figured I should try to practice these skills should I ever change my mind. Following our glorious feast but prior packing, we quickly hit up kyobol a Korean bookstore 100 times better than Barnes and Noble.
Thursday was the big day. Clean up, nose ring out, first impression time. Thursday was the day we met our school officials, co-operating teachers and Homestay families. Everything was fantastic and went smoothly. Well, except for the fact that my principal ended up seeing his gift before hand. Since I had to take the bottles of wine out of the bag to check my luggage he saw the gift and asked about it. I guess gift giving culture is different here so perhaps he won’t mind. If anything, I can make light of it in a card. Korean gift giving culture is so different. It is much more practical. Gifts are not luxury items but rather things such as toilet paper and underwear. Sometimes bottles of juice or even kit kats are special treats. Compared to Americans who are concerned with how much things cost, if people will enjoy their presents or if the present is something their recipient already has, Koreans don’t seem to worry about these things. In fact, re-gifting is not only acceptable but expected many times. Sure takes the pressure off. I bought my homestay children “le petite prince” and “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” I thought it would be appropriate to read to them and these books seemed perfect. UNFORTUNATELY, I stepped into their house and was amazed by the extensive library; which included both of my purchases. At least I was right on target for appropriate and likable gifts. But nonetheless, coming from a hyper aware and paranoid gift giving culture, this is definitely a form of culture shock.
My co teacher did a lot of the language translations at our first dinner. I could only imagine what it would be like if I were alone with my family. And then it happened; the family is wonderful and the children are precious, but there is a very distinct language barrier. I can not really communicate with any of the members other than my 14 year old host sister. Hopefully this will facilitate a nice language exchange. Sometimes the family and I sit and try to converse and then laugh at the silence because it is so awkward. Hey, at least we can have a good humor about the situation. The apt. is so hot. It is pretty stark with some cool electrical fixtures it has all house hold appliances including a stove (unusual for Korean houses). Chocolate chip cookie making is already a plan for sure. Today my host mom said to me, “we used to think Americans either fat or thin but you’re not” I inferred that I was neither…which I suppose, under the circumstances cited *here* is a good thing.
Girls across the world seem to share one common thing despite language barriers…a great conversation topic is always Johnny depp. He is so popular. I dropped his name casually and I feel like there was an instant bond. Immediately my host sister and cousin asked me if I had a boyfriend. That’s pretty important. I bowed out of that one easily enough by mentioning that I am very far away from home and dating anyone would be hard. I had been planning on it coming up good thing I was prepared..
Tonight my host siblings and I are renting videos. Last night, they went to the store and bought us all ice cream and snacks it was quite darling. The dynamic is very interesting here. It is so odd and unnatural to be placed in a house with a family that somewhat becomes your own. I can’t help but feel like I have to tiptoe around. But even stranger is trying to find a balance between being involved and being removed. They are still a family without me and I want to give them space without seeming distant. On the other hand I would like to take part in different events but don’t want to intrude. I look forward to re-reading this down the road and seeing how my feelings change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
you are quite darling! miss you!
I agree on the DC culture being to intense... time for me to get outta here and off K street! But you already knew that.
Berg
Post a Comment