8.30.2006

Classroom Chaos

Amidst the culture shock here in Korea I must admit, I have never been so challenged with a classroom. It has been a wild time here in Korea thus far. My Korean classroom is like nothing I have ever expected or experienced before. In addition to a serious language barrier, I am teaching very low level English speakers, I have 45 students in a class. Talk about having to revamp theory. I only see each class (18 per week) once a week. !0 of the classes I only see once every two weeks. Trying to create a cohesive unit is so ridiculous because I never see the students. Another struggle I have been facing is the fact that my classroom is set up so that it is near impossible to move through it freely. Therefore, I am pretty much confined to the blackboard. I have tried to rework the desks to make the space more usable so hopefully that will help some. I am just really struggling with management in general. I have set up clear systems to work on discipline. We have green cards and yellow cards. Two times on the green card rewards the student with 2 extra points on their speaking exam (the only part of the course I grade) 2 times on the yellow card results in a point deduction. That becomes a challenge because I am seen as a fake teacher. The discipline aspect has gotten in the way of my teaching. I am trying to function in an environment that utilizes corporal punishment. I am at a loss. There were days that I faltered at JFK, but I had a lot more supervision and feedback. Here the students never stop talking, but no one has given me advice on how to fix it. I want to create meaningful lessons but I am not sure how to go about it. I feel like I am completely failing, and can't imagine what it must be like having not taught before and then going into this classroom. For many of my peers, this will be their first time teaching. Half of me wishes I had never taught before; then I would not have preconceived notions of what I can and can't do with these students. Well, at least I am working on simplifying my vocabulary!!! Teaching in Harlem was easier than this job. I think one of the main problems is that there are no expectations of me as a teacher. There are no objectives in the school's mind and so I am left to assess and create lessons as I see fit. This is exciting, and at the same time so challenging because my role is fairly undefined. Anyhow, if y'all can think of anything that may help, feel free to let me know!

No comments: