Drinks with co-workers took on a whole new life yesterday afternoon. After being served delightfully tasty sashimi (Korean sushi) I was solicited to drink for a fellow teacher's going away party. By the way, the food here is so delicious I don't know that I will be able to move back to America unless I am with in walking distance to K town and my potbingsu restaurant. Anyhow, what ensued was wild, and definitely proved a bit awkward in the teachers room this morning; fortunately not on my part. And although I wish to detail this, it always proves challenging because Amazing Grace is still playing on a fellow teachers computer; this has gone on for 5 days straight. Amazing Grace, a beautiful song-in small doses. Though I can't help but be distracted every time the "that saved a wretch like meeeeee" part comes up. It crescendos in this way that is unmistakable and unmaskable.
So drinking in Korea reinforced my understanding of gender dynamics. When we arrived at the restaurant all of the women sat at one table and the men at the other. They proceeded to order drinks and asked if I would like some beer. Well aware that the ability to drink is a highly respected and necessary trait here, I proceeded to accept their offer. Thanks to cultural lectures and first hand experience, my knowledge of the Korean cheers "gombae," as well as my ability to pour soju correctly, won me some cultural points. Then the male table invited me over, courtesy of the head English teacher and VP; clearly can't deny a request of my superiors as well as those of my co-teachers. They served me drinks and we talked about my stay in Korea. Very pleasant, although their rowdiness had clearly begun. In Korea there are 3 rounds of drinking. The first is with everyone, the second mostly men and a few brave females, and then the third round. From what I hear, the illustrious third round is for those who have drank so much, they might as well keep on drinking until morning as not to fall asleep prior to work. Once again, cultural differences between Korea and America: although shunned in the stases, it is completely acceptable to be hungover during the workday. During the first round my co teacher got a little anxious about the men's drinking around me and requested my presence back at the women’s table. I politely obliged, though not willingly. What Koreans tend to fail to understand is that although they drink a lot, the actual alcohol content does not compare to drinks in the states. For instance, Soju is only 25% alcohol compared to vodka, which is 80%. Therefore, anyone who has consumed alcohol in the states is probably able to handle their alcohol in a very appropriate manner without getting out of control. Not that I had the urge to drink excessively, but the men's table was just more fun. Sitting politely at the women's table was never something anyone thought I would be good at. I like merriment and revelry, not complacency and passivity. Oh well, my smith college ways have gone by the wayside here in Korea. When we left, the male teachers requested my presence to drink makoli, a traditional Korean rice wine. Clearly, the answer had been made already. I would go home with the women. I want to make it to the second round! Where are my adventurous female counterparts? If not for the drinking for the pride! Alex said it well "you just have to be like the girl in little league who plays for the boys team." This morning, I think the men may have felt a bit uncomfortable about their frequent solicitations for my participation in the evening events. Especially, because they were scolded by my co teacher for making such requests. It was all in good fun. Mom and dad don't be worried. It just made me realize how submissive and subservient women's roles tend to be here. I just want to revel in Korean Culture...and if it means drinking mekoli, so be it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment