2.22.2007

Turning Points: Love From Teachers Other Than Coffee Date Lover

They say "absence makes the heart grow fonder." So must be the case here at Ara Middle School. With a twinkle in their eye and a skip in their step, teachers who have never acknowledged me, or those who've never spoken a word to me-have become very enthusiastic about my presence. Big smiles,GOOOD MORNINGs, HELLLO's and firm hand shakes from administrators and faculty alike, have welcomed me back to the school. Even the vice principal, whom I am terrified of, gave me the biggest smile and a big hello. He has never EVER, said anything to me in English. In fact, I couldn't really insa him because he frequently, didn't look up at me. Clearly, this was a massive turning point in our relationship. Everyone seems extremely interested in my presence, a scenario seemingly more appropriate for when I first arrived. Nonetheless, it feels good to forge the divide between insider and outsider-especially in such a group oriented society. I was even invited to tea today with an English teacher other than my co teacher. Classes are amazing, co worker relations couldn't be better, and it was 60 degrees yesterday when I played at the waterfall and beaches. I was apprehensive regarding my arrival back to the island, but things couldn't seem to be going more swimmingly.

Look forward to some upcoming posts: "Korea: Demonstrating Dualities Daily" and "Coming Out Korea 2007-it's not what you think."

No comments: