2.16.2007
Annies Mac and Cheese: developing autonomy one recipe at a time
Today, for almost the first time in 7 months, I prepared a meal for myself. The feeling was quite invigorating. Not only did I make annies mac and cheese, stove top not microwaveable, I ALSO got to do my dishes. Now this is the first and last time I will ever be grateful for dishwashing. But, living in a homestay where I can't even pour my own water, experiences like seeing the sink up close and personally is pretty exciting once in a while. Perhaps, this meal making adventure, is a chance for me to assert my independence. I am 24, yet when my younger host cousin entered the house, she was surprised i knew how to boil hot water, let alone cook the children lamien. Quite the accomplishment here on the island!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
So, Korean schools don't have Home Ec.? How are those poor children ever going to appreciate gender-role based irony?
You're not 24.
I am 24 in Korea. Things are all crazy when the lunar calender comes into play.
Post a Comment