2.12.2007

January 15
We directed our taxi driver to soi rambuttri after having no luck finding the club we were attempting to go to. But when we arrived, we saw nothing that resembling a bar scene or our intended destination. He in turn said, "I take you to club street many international discotheque." We thanked him but as our cab crept slowly into a dark ally way, occupied only by two homeless men and some stray dogs, we knew there was no club to be found. We politely declined, risking missing the most ultra hip, underground scene should this location actually have proven to be a club scene. And we asked to be taken back to soi rambuttri one more time. He said "ok ok, i bring you another club near there. friend club." The thing about Thailand is everyone seems to have a great friend willing to help you out, sell you a suit, give you a 10 baht tuk tuk. It's unfortunate that in countries where the economy is dependent on tourism, exploitation works on both ends. It is frustrating to have to navigate your way in a country when everyone wants something from you. Unfortunately, i have found this thought true.

We had an altercation at a bar last night. Not was much of an altercation i suppose, as that renders images of throwing punches-a rumble if you will. What we experienced was more like a heightened conflict due to a mis- communication. After chatting with some lovely girls from Australia, trying to find foreigners as amazing as our new friend English Sarah, we all attempted to pay our individual bills. The waiter made a simple mistake. Which I was completely unaware of, until he came back looking for money. I was skeptical to hand over the 100 baht. but quickly realized he was accurate in demanding the change. however when he returned looking for more, I got defensive. I was frustrated that this was the process for handling things. I am used to the customer being right and it is a loss for the establishment if the waitstaff makes the mistake. Now, had I known that I was at fault, I would never use this logic. However, when the manager came over and asked for 500 baht I said, no because it simply made no sense. The table of our Australian friends had also been wrongly charged for items and asked to give money back to the establishment. Lot's of voices were raised, that's for sure. This entire ordeal required an English translator to relay what they were trying to attempt and do, which was to start the transaction over again. This entire situation definitely put a riff in some good conversation and made me frustrated that I had acted so rashly. I should have been calm, but I lost my cool. I still think I lost out 100 baht.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like dar es salaam. but with more stray dogs and less armed guards/gunmen... i will say i was glad to be back in america where goods and services actually have set prices and cab drivers don't ask you for an extra $5 at the end of the ride because the road was "very bumpy"