I have discovered a tool that until recently, I never gave enough credit. It is, none other than the shoe horn. For years, I tirelessly stuck my finger behind my heel attempting to wiggle my foot into what ever shoes or sneakers I would wear for the day. it was a difficult task I tell you, especially during the doc martin years. Perhaps that's why I started wearing berks at such an early age. Well, I utilized a shoe horn in Japan and I am hooked. The ease at which I was able to put my shoes on was utterly mind blowing. Prior to this discovery, here in Asia especially, I would awkwardly fumble at every doorway- restaurants, people's homes, just in attempts to get my shoes on. But not anymore. No longer do I almost fall over in the cramped door space, and I save myself a good 30 seconds each shoe entry. I am on an endless hunt for a shoe horn cell phone charm. And, if they don't make em, I am copyrighting the idea right here and right now -shoe horn cell phone charm ©2006 l.mccarth. It's gonna make millions and I will be able to get that architect to design my east meets west minimalist decor filled fantasy house!! Easy access-all the time.
Departed from Japan this afternoon. I had such an amazing time, meeting new people, trying my luck at a new language with little success and getting to know Yumi's Family. It was sad to leave, but I am back in Seoul and already in the thick of planning my next adventures. For instance purchasing that Thailand ticket-I have the lonely planet for the country to which I have no ticket. Help! leave for Thailand on the 9th, but one minor detail sits between me, my window seat and complimentary cocktail. That is, I haven`t organized my life enough to book the seat. Mainly because I don:t know how to operate Tour express. I found an amazing deal and i look at it longingly everyday hoping, that perhaps if I am lucky it could be mine. But
that damn national identity number always gets in the way with these things.
My trip home seemed to be doomed. I arrived at Haneda's international departures terminal, quickly realizing why there is only service available between Japan and Korea. Most international departures are out of Narita. This airport was the most poorly run, organized airport i have ever been to. I watched the security guards, who couldn't have been more than 19-change in front of me into their uniforms. Now I will admit, uniforms have an intimidating force behind them. Y'all should know-my ridiculous paranoia regarding police couldn't make that anymore apparent. But watching some kid in slouchy jeans and Adidas sneakers change in public into the customs uniform puts all credibility out the window. Anyhow, all other flights were on time but JAL 8831 was being serviced. In fact it was being serviced even as people were boarding. Finally flight 8831 to seogwipo was called. "wait" i thought to myself, "oh my god am i going to jeju or seoul? soegwipo????" I realized that the Japanese flight attendant was saying Seoul Gimpo but the M was pretty much obsolete from pronunciation. It took me a few minutes to realize there was no airport in Seowgipo. I still couldn't think straight as i was highly concerned about this continued servicing of the plane- especially due to recent events with missing jet airliners. To make matters worse, the flight attendants made an announcement to go to the bathroom prior to the flight as the turbulence was going to be rough. We were already talking heavy turbulence before I even hit the tarmac? Was this an excuse for-"something is wrong with the plane, it's gonna be a rocky ride folks-hopefully we make it to SeouL?" I didn't know but the cynic within believed so. When I got on the plane I realized this bathroom chatter was because the servicing was regarding the restrooms aboard the plane. So they were trying to hide something haha! Fortunately it wasn't a bad engine, just a bad bathroom. Apparently there was a problem since flight crews were there until takeoff. And it was smooth sailing from there on out-especially because the in flight movie was "Little Miss Sunshine," a movie I intended to seek out from street vendors upon my arrival back in SoKo. Check it out-though as Ell biggers put it, it's got that "obvious indi film implication about finidng yourself etc." But I am desperate for a movie that isn't the Holiday. So it was appealing in aspects.
Hit up Seoul Backpackers, a hostel I have heard about from a few sources. So far so good. I got wireless Internet, there's a kitchen and free luggage storage for 2 weeks. i will take advantage of that while I head to Daegu tomorrow, but not for the duration of my s.e. Asian travels. So we will have to see. More and more people from back in the day, keep popping up in Thailand. I feel like I am bound to see multiple familiar faces and who knows who else.
Tomorrow, I need to service all technological belongings prior to heading south. That is, Laptop, Ipod and Digital Camera-So far my Japanese charms are serving me well-hopefully that luck can continue with regards to plane tickets and my technological lively hood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment