Life in Korea is always a trip. I enter back in the country after a 2 week hiatus and craziness ensues. Saturday, after a long slumber, June's mom, June and myself hit up a beautiful tea house. It was in the midst of this mountainous terrain which is inaccessible to tourists due to the nature of it's remote location. We delighted in some green tea ice cream and made fun of June's Korean antics, traversing said mountainous terrain in high heals. June's parents are amazing. I have already stated this fact but I learned more about the community organizing they are committed to and it's outstanding. Taegu has a large military presence due to the two bases in the city. June's family engages with the base by creating partnerships between local organizations and those on base. They act as cultural ambassadors by teaching Korean classes and engaging the u.s. citizens in Korean affairs.
Following our tea and a brief stop at a roadside restaurant, which I must say exemplifies everything that is right with local farming, we hit up a restaurant for dinner. The Dinner was followed by an adventure out into the streets of Taegu night life. We hosted the son of a col. who usually resides in the States. Mark got to see the night life. We hit up a bar and then a club. The club was rowdy and some antics by some american guy from Alabama made me embarrassed of my nationality-something that is not unfamiliar while abroad. He ended up getting his friend kicked out of the club. His drunken self then approached me and apologized profusely for yelling at me. I looked at him and said "no worries I've never seen or spoken to you in my entire life." I did however engage in a full conversation in Korean with some kid. Who, proceeded to tell me I was beautiful repeatedly and kiss my cheek...repeatedly. But I was having so much fun talking in Korean!!! 남자친구 이사요 (boyfriend is here) did not seem to stop the antics of this drunk boy. So I threw myself into the depth of the dance floor and got down to DJ Ozma bounce with me. We dropped Mark back off at the base around 4am, his shuttle to Incheon airport left at 5. Mark, if you're reading this, we called that 3rd round. Just stay out until you need to get up. Hope your trip was headache free.
We headed back to the base for a reception for the Kim's. I proceeded to meet the mayor of daegu and some dean's at the national university who offered me a job to teach next year. I can only hope the job search is as simple in the states. Something tells me it will not end up that way.
A nap,some Diana krall live in Paris and comfy chairs, proceeded our trip to the 4th culinary delight of an experience while in Taegu. We headed to a restaurant where Giorgio was preparing the leg of a wild boar a colleague of June's father had hunted. This is the year of the boar and so in typical fashion, let's feast to that occasion. Prior to arriving I asked June "Is Giorgio Korean?" Yes, this question seems absurd. Giorgio is clearly an Italian name. June felt this way too and responded "uhhh no, he's Italian." But June's parents use American names when interacting on the base, so I assumed he took on an Italian name to assimilate with the Italian cuisine he prepared at his restaurant. I was wrong.
The meal was delightful. I ate a wild boar, I saw the hair on the leg and tapped at the hoof, while the chef skinned the upper leg. What a scene.
The night had a musical ending. I made my debut at the Taegu Jazz Bar "the corner" and sang decently to "Don't Know Why." Unfortunately, the band played the song I think in double time. It sort of seemed like those techno remixes they play on the radio of songs like "my heart will go on." That is, without the synthesizers and electric drums. It didn't have the ultra sexy jazz appeal that I was hoping for but, nonetheless, i sounded OK. We followed this gig with a poofs sing along in Noribang. I finally found crazy and sang to my hearts content with June. Her father does one hell of a Louis Armstrong impersonation. Imagine that.
AND I AM OFF TO THAILAND. I found my ticket, and leave oh so soon. I even have a day layover in Taiwan. Woooo, another country to explore, for the evening. 라비그 선생님 see you soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment