10.27.2006

The "bad students"

I really like the students who are considered the "bad students." They are hip and defy authority in a great way. They transcend traditional roles of students and push boundaries in a restrictive culture of schooling. These are the students who "spend time with their friends after 3 days of extensive testing rather than going home" as one teacher put it. These are the students who don't really care about English. Then again, did I care about many subjects when I was their age? Hell no my parents will attest to that one. My favorites include "the girl who got her labret pierced only to take it out after having a teacher reprimand here. Then there's the girl who steals 1st grader's money...ok so that isn't good, but yesterday she hugged me and took me under her umbrella because it was raining and said cooold in Korean to me. She also wears 2/3 of a 3 piece suit-so rad. Then there's the crew that hangs out in City Hall after 9pm. Let me tell you, its strange to see your students when you are going out for a drink. These are the students who spike their hair defying dress code. They have girlfriends and boyfriends. Commonalities between these students-they have fun. I like the students at Ara middle school that have fun. I'm quickly realizing that there is rarely any time for Korean students to have fun. In fact, the one's that do have fun are considered bad. This system just wouldn't work for me. See the "bad students" at ARA aren't taking part in gang warfare, or gun fights in back alleys. To my knowledge they aren't doing drugs or taking part in malicious acts-although I heard once a group of 3rd graders were caught trying to rig vending machines to get the coins to dispense...who hasn't tried a prank like that? They merely don't look at studying as the be all and end all to life. And in my opinion, despite the fact that unfortunately they will fall short in a society which values such a thing-they, in actuality are are "the smart ones."

I mean look at these girl's intimidating faces. Clearly look like hoodlums to me-up to no good. Aguma's lock your doors.

No comments: