11.02.2006

the secret life of korean men

Korean men lead multiple lives, I am sure of it. Quite regularly, my host father disappears into the night. This is not your traditional, heading out with the boys at a reasonable hour either. Instead, my host father will receive a phone call, dress quickly, from the looks of it demand money from my host mother and head out the door. This happens at 9 pm, 11 pm; at any given time. He may not return for hours and many times days. I don't feel like it is appropriate to ask exactly what he does or where he goes but I sure as hell wish I knew. Does he go on wild soju binges, patronize the local noribang and find a suppliment for the wife while the family and children are home sitting around a bowl of lamien and kimchi? Where does he go? Sometimes he leaves with envelopes-"what could it be," i think to myself, "drugs, mafia dealings?" This is not particular to my situation either. i have heard from others, that their host fathers also mysteriously disappear for days on end. No one in the family seems phased by hiw absence, and yet no one seems to mention his whereabouts either. Ko Yo Bin, Ko Yo Bin where do you go when the lights go out?



*free bottle of soju to the one who can accurately answer what the last line refers to?

4 comments:

cara said...

harry! harry! where do you go when the lights go out?

Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren, do you know what a "comfort woman" in the wholly Korean history context symbolizes?

Anonymous said...

To tell you the truth, I didn't know myself...!

Lmccarth said...

Although I am only generally familiar , I am nonetheless aware of the inhumane, reprehensible history surrounding comfort women here in Korea, and abroad. I used the term very loosely and probably in an offensive way-hence the change in my blog entry. It was merely my lack of precision of language that led me to wrongfully utilize that term. My bad.